A warm Hello to all Masters of Ceremony and Anchors, present and future. Here are a few thoughts based on 20 years of experience in this field.
1. WHAT ~ WHEN ~ WHERE ~ WHY : Try and find comprehensive answers to these questions vis-à-vis your event, or people might soon start asking HOW did he get this gig. In this digital age, information is freely available. Know the Event, know the Acts, know the Timeline.
2. TOMATO IS A FRUIT : Knowing that is knowledge … NOT putting tomatoes in a fruit salad is Wisdom!(Miles Kingdon). MC is not paid to show off his knowledge! Use your phrases in phases … You’re an Anchor not a stand-up comic.
3. MIDDLE FINGER OR THUMB : Both stand out but only one makes a statement! Dress smart, dress appropriate (Corporate dress codes). Choose Comfort over Style! If your Gucci loafers are killing your feet it will show in your performance and if your pant is too tight, it squeezes your breath among other things!
4. ONE IN A BILLION : From among the 109 billion that have walked the earth … There is no one with your fingerprints! You are Unique … Let it show! Develop your own style of introducing and signing off. Whoever said, “Imitation is the highest form of flattery” probably borrowed the quote and lacked self confidence!
5. LOVE ~ LAUGH ~ LIVE : If you do not love being an MC and are not enjoying your performance … You are not living the dream! “Talk a little but Read a lot, Cry a little and Laugh a lot, Play a little but Work a lot and Hope a little but Pray a lot” #AlfieSaidItFirst